- Vertical NFT system
- Aeroponic system
The hydroponic capital intensive nature of this technology is the major impediment in its early adoption by willing entrepreneurs. The cost of setting up HP setup/sqm is close to Rs 3000. With this rate the cost of setting up HP plant for 1 Acre is close to Rs 1.5 cr.
Apart from that it needs trained labour and proper vigilance for its successful execution. The potential of this technology to use less water for growing crops in a eco-friendly manner (less use of pesticides, etc), this can fetch great returns in the market.
- Benefits of hydroponics:
- The ability to produce higher yields than traditional, soil-based agriculture
- Allowing food to be grown and consumed in areas of the world that cannot support crops in the soil.
- Eliminating the need for massive pesticide use (considering most pests live in the soil), effectively making our air, water, soil, and food cleaner.
- A water efficient method of cultivation
- Optimal use and reuse of nutrients and minerals
- Freedom from Soil born diseases/infections/weeds/pests
- Faster growth rate of crop than traditional farming
- Amiable to cultivation in areas with water shortage or lacking soil-cover
Commercial growers are flocking to hydroponics like never before. The ideals surrounding these growing techniques touch on subjects that most people care about, such as helping end world hunger and making the world cleaner. People from all over the world have been building or purchasing their own systems to grow great-tasting, fresh food for their family and friends. Ambitious individuals are striving to make their dreams come true by making their living in their backyard greenhouse by selling their produce to local markets and restaurants. In the class room, educators are realizing the amazing applications that hydroponics can have to teach children about science and gardening.
The speed of hydroponic research is increasing at exponential rates as the many benefits are realized. Associated disciplines such as aeroponics and aquaponics lead the way and nobody knows what the future holds for such an exciting green technology.