Table of Contents
Hydroponic NFT Channels
Hydroponic NFT Channels help you to promote plant growth and healthy development without making any major structural changes or spend a lot of money on your grow room. Hydroponic is an irrigation system that requires little maintenance and doesn’t use much water.
We at Shriji Green Irrigation help you to understand what Hydroponic Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) channels are, how they work, and what you can do with them.
What exactly is hydroponics?
Essentially, it’s a type of gardening that uses water in place of soil to grow plants, but there are several different kinds of hydroponic gardening systems.
If you’re interested in exploring this exciting hobby but aren’t sure where to start, here’s everything you need to know about the classic system known as the nutrient film technique (NFT).
Further more, NFT stands for Nutrient Film Technique, which is the most popular hydroponic technique in use today.
Benefits of using hydroponic channels over other hydroponics methods
- While there are many other types of hydroponics systems, one of the most popular methods is called the nutrient film technique (NFT).
- This is because it’s one of the easier methods for hydroponics gardening.
- The basic concept behind the nutrient film technique is similar to aeroponics, but since you have no air involved, there’s less concern about any diseases being transferred through pathogens.
- It also means that you can just leave your growing system without worry.
- You don’t need to monitor or change anything regularly because everything occurs at a steady pace.
- Nutrient Film Technique Basics Similar to using trays in your garden, using an ebb and flow table with ridges underneath each tray.
- There are channels inside each chamber on top of each flat surface within a reservoir.
|Minimum Order Quantity||1000 Mtr|
|Delivery Time||Same Day|
|Port of Dispatch||Jodhpur|
|Production Capacity||500 pcs|
|Packaging Details||Large Bag’s|
|Packing Qty||1 Bag’s|
|Payment Mode||RTGS / NEFT / IMPS|
Hydroponic NFT Channels:
Hydroponic NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) channels are a popular method for growing plants without soil. In an NFT system, plants are place in a sloping channel with a thin film of nutrient solution.
The solution flows continuously over the plant roots, which grow through small holes in the bottom of the channel.
NFT channels are a highly efficient way of growing plants. However, they use less water than traditional soil-based methods and provide plants with constant access to the necessary nutrients and oxygen. This results in higher yields and faster growth rates than can be achieved with soil-based growing.
NFT channels are versatile and can be used to grow various plants, including leafy greens, herbs, and strawberries. They are also space-saving and can be stacked on top of each other, making them an excellent option for those with limited space for gardening.
Setting up an NFT channel system requires some initial investment in equipment and materials, but they are relatively low maintenance and easy to use once established. With proper care and maintenance, NFT channels can harvest fresh, healthy produce year-round.
Benefits of Using Hydroponic NFT Channels:
There are many benefits to using hydroponic NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) channels for growing plants. Further more, Here are some of the key advantages:
- Water Efficiency: Hydroponic NFT channels use less water than traditional soil-based growing methods, as the nutrient solution is continuously recirculated and reused. In addition, this makes them an eco-friendly option for gardening.
- High Yields: Plants grown in NFT channels typically produce higher yields than those grown in soil, as they have constant access to the necessary nutrients and oxygen. This allows them to grow faster and more efficiently, resulting in a larger harvest.
- Space-saving: NFT channels are an excellent option for those with limited space for gardening. Further more, they can be stacked on top of each other, allowing for more plants to be grown in a smaller area.
- Versatility: NFT channels can be used to grow various plants, including leafy greens, herbs, and strawberries. However, they are also suitable for growing plants in both indoor and outdoor environments.
- Reduced Pest Problems: Hydroponic NFT channels are less prone to pest infestations than soil-based growing, providing fewer hiding places for insects and other pests.
- Precise Nutrient Control: NFT channels allow for accurate control of the nutrient solution, ensuring that plants receive the exact amount of nutrients they need to grow and thrive. This reduces the risk of over or under-fertilizing plants.
- Year-round Gardening: With hydroponic NFT channels, growing plants year-round, regardless of weather conditions or season, is possible.
Overall, hydroponic NFT channels offer a highly efficient and productive way to grow plants while also conserving water and reducing environmental impact. They are an excellent option for those who want to grow fresh, healthy produce at home or in a commercial setting.
Setting Up a Hydroponic NFT Channel System:
Setting up a hydroponic NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) channel system requires some initial investment in equipment and materials, but once established, it is relatively low maintenance and easy to use. Here are the basic steps to setting up an NFT channel system:
- Choose a Location: Select a location that receives adequate sunlight or has access to artificial lighting. The area should also have a reliable source of electricity and water.
- Build or Purchase NFT Channels: NFT channels can be constructed from materials such as PVC piping or purchased pre-made. The channels should be sloped at a slight angle to allow for the nutrient solution to flow through the system.
- Install the NFT Channels: Install the NFT channels on a frame or support system, ensuring they are level and securely attached. Position the channels so that they slope downwards towards the nutrient reservoir.
- Prepare the Nutrient Solution: Mix the nutrient solution according to the manufacturer’s instructions or follow a recipe for the hydroponic nutrient solution. The answer should be pH-balanced and contain all the necessary macro and micronutrients for plant growth.
- Install a Pump and Timer: Install a water pump and timer to circulate the nutrient solution through the NFT channels. The pump should be set to run for short intervals several times a day.
- Add Plants: Insert seedlings or cuttings into the holes in the NFT channels, ensuring that the roots are fully submerged in the nutrient solution.
- Monitor and Maintain: Monitor the nutrient solution levels, pH balance, and plant growth regularly. Adjust nutrient levels as needed and replace the solution every few weeks. Look for any signs of pests or disease and take action promptly if necessary.
- With proper care and maintenance, a hydroponic NFT channel system can provide an abundant harvest of fresh, healthy produce year-round.
Choosing the Right Plants for Hydroponic NFT Channels:
Hydroponic NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) channels can be used to grow a wide variety of plants, but it is essential to choose the right plants that are well-suited to this growing method. In addition, here are some factors to consider when selecting plants for NFT channels:
- Shorter Growing Cycles: Since plants in NFT channels have constant access to nutrients and water, they tend to grow faster than plants in soil. As a result, it’s best to choose plants with shorter growing cycles, such as lettuce, herbs, spinach, and other leafy greens.
- Compact Size: NFT channels are a space-saving option for gardening, so it’s best to choose plants with a compact growth habit. In addition, some examples of compact plants that are suitable for NFT channels include cherry tomatoes, strawberries, and bush beans.
- Shallow Root Systems: Plants with external root systems are well-suited for NFT channels, as their roots can grow through the holes in the bottom of the channels and access the nutrient solution. Some examples of plants with shallow root systems include lettuce, spinach, and other leafy greens.
- High Yield: Since NFT channels are a highly efficient way of growing plants, it’s best to choose plants that produce high yields. Some examples of high-yield plants that are suitable for NFT channels include basil, cucumbers, and strawberries.
- Disease Resistance: It’s essential to choose disease-resistant plants, as NFT channels can be prone to certain diseases. However, some examples of disease-resistant plants that are suitable for NFT channels include arugula, Swiss chard, and radishes.
Ultimately, the best plants for hydroponic NFT channels depend on your specific goals and growing conditions. In addition, consider the factors above when selecting plants, and experiment with different varieties to see which ones work best for you.